History and Origins
The history of the Indira Gandhi Technological and Medical Sciences University (IGTAMSU) may be traced from the year 2002 when the great institution builder and thinker Dr. Priya Ranjan Trivedi, President, World Institution Building Programme (WIBP) was motivated and encouraged by the then Prime Minister Hon'ble Atal Bihari Vajpayee in the year 2002 for selecting the State of Arunachal Pradesh for establishing a State level University for taking care of the tertiary education needs of the North-Eastern States in general and of Arunachal Pradesh in particular.
Establishment and Legislation
Although the initial developmental work got initiated from the year 2002 after the formal invitation was accorded to the WIBP President Dr. Priya Ranjan Trivedi by the then Governor and the then Chief Minister for selecting the site and proposing the draft of the legislation to be passed from the Arunachal Pradesh State Assembly, it took almost ten years till the legislation titled "Indira Gandhi Technological and Medical Sciences University Act 2012" was passed from the State Legislature (Act 6 of 2012). Since then different courses at Certificate, Diploma, Post Graduate Diploma, Bachelor's and Master's levels are being conducted in the specialised areas of nursing, law, paramedical sciences, management, engineering, information technology, education, social sciences, applied sciences etc.
Created under the provisions of the Indira Gandhi Technological and Medical Sciences University Act 2012 (Act 6 of 2012) of the Government of Arunachal Pradesh, this university is recognised by the University Grants Commission (UGC) Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India. The School of Nursing established by the University is also recognised by the Indian Nursing Council.
Priority and Focus
- "To prepare a competent cadre of young professionals for managing all facts for the total development of the State of Arunachal Pradesh".
- "Indira Gandhi Technological And Medical Sciences University will have a transformative impact on society through continual innovation in education, creativity and entrepreneurship".
- "To create a transformative educational experience for students focused on deep disciplinary knowledge; problem solving; leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills; and personal health and well-being.
To cultivate a university community committed to (a) attracting and retaining diverse, best talent; (b) creating a collaborative environment open to the free exchange of ideas, where research, creativity, innovation, and entrepreneurship can flourish; and (c) ensuring individuals can achieve their full potential".
- "उत्तिष्ठ जाग्रत प्राप्य वरान्निबोधत
(English translation:arise, awake, obtaining worthy (teachers), Know (the truth))".
Board of Advisors
- Eminent Persons in the Board of Advisors. (Click to see)